Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Still busy, busy...

I'm sorry for the lack of update and attention to comments this week. I really do appreciate each and every one. I'm as of yet still unspanked, although that may change tonight. This week has been insane. First of all, you wouldn't think Morgan starting back to school would be that tiring for me, especially since I drop her off on my way to work. But I do have to get her up and dressed and out the door, which has me getting up a half hour earlier than usual,and then I'm later getting home because I pick her up as well. Not to mention the half hour of homework when we get home. Don't get me wrong, I love the fact that I can drop her off and pick her up - our time together is precious. It's just taking me some time to re-acclimate myself to the schedule.

The big issue this week though has to do with Nick's job. He's a mechanic, and the way the scheduling works is that there are two teams that cover the work. Each team works for 4 12-hour days, then has 5 days off. Everybody is off on Sunday. This has been awesome, because he only has to work about 13-14 days a month. Since he drives 26 miles one way to work, this is a very big deal. Also, on his days off, he does a lot of side work for people, which has been a tremendous help with our bills. He was also able to watch Morgan a lot during the summer, which cut down on the amount of time we had to depend on my parents to watch her. With my dad's broken arm and my mom trying to take care of my papaw lately that's been hugely important. Now that she's back in school, he was planning to get a part time job for his off days so that hopefully we can make it to the beach this year.

All of that came to a screeching halt this weekend. On Saturday he heard a rumor that they were doing away with the shifts and going to one team with everybody working Monday through Friday and people rotating through Saturdays. Monday this was confirmed. He was understandably upset, as was I. This means that he has to make the drive 10 more times a month, has no time for side work, and no time for a part time job. Also, we were planning to go to the beach during his off shift with him switching with someone for a couple of days to get a full week. Now he won't have the time off.

All of this is supposed to start on the 1st of the month. I loved him being off so much because he was usually home when I got there, he was more relaxed in general, he was able to run some errands I couldn't get to, and he had free time to spend with his friends without feeling like he was taking away from family time.

Yesterday his manager pulled Nick aside as he was leaving and asked him if he was going to stay (several people are not). Nick told him that he would for now, but that he could find work much closer to home for the same money if he was going to work that kind of schedule. His manager said that everybody was getting a raise, which we knew, but we were pretty certain it wouldn't offset his side work income and the extra gas. Nick explained this, and his manager told him that it would be very much worth it to stay. He said he was still running the numbers, but he gave Nick an "at least" ballpark figure that rather shocked us. I won't count on it until I see it in writing, but I'm cautiously hopeful, and Nick feels a lot better about staying. We'd really appreciate your prayers that this will come through.

Anyway, we've spent the last few days discussing all of that, and that is why my butt is still quite lily white, but Nick says it won't be for much longer. I really, really hate waiting, but I guess I'd rather he do it when we're not both completely wrung out.

5 comments:

Caryagal said...

Man what a bummer on his job. I hope though that the $$ are awesome and it does pay off. Still compensating for that much time off and with the family would be awfully hard to do. What tough choices and decisions. How does Morgan like school? Mine head there tomorrow!

Carye

Anonymous said...

Wishing you good luck, and that all works out well for you all! And wishing you a spanked butt really soon!
Hugs,
Kallisto

Paul said...

Tracy, hope that everything works out for all of you.
Your are in my prayers.
Warm hugs,
Paul.

Anonymous said...

Will be thinking of you all and keeping my fingers crossed. What hours will he be working weekdays and Saturday? Hopefully, it will all work out so try to hang on until you can see. It's so hard when work jerks you around. I love my job, but the powers that be are frequently making things so much harder than they have to be!

AngelBrat said...

Thanks for the comment, Carye. We're praying that it will work out, and I know it will. Morgan is loving school! It's so scary to send them off into it, but she's having a blast. I know yours will too. :)

Thanks, Kallisto. :)

Thank you, Paul. :)

Anonymous, his hours each day will be shorter, which is one blessing. Right now he works 8:00 to 8:00, which change to 8:00 to 6:00. Still a long day, but better than it is now, especially since he'll be working almost every day.

I sympathize with you on your job - I deal with a lot of that myself. I know everything will be okay though. Thank you. :)