Thursday, April 04, 2013

So it was a long day...

Today was a long day. It started out with Morgan missing the bus. This is far from the first time this has happened, but I can't blame it entirely on her. Apparently she asked me multiple times if I would drive her in, and in my fairly unconscious state I agreed. Of course I have no recollection at all of this. What I do recall is her waking me again at 7:42 asking if I was ready to take her. The bus leaves at about 7:45. I was still trying to fight my way out of sleep, and had no idea what she was talking about. And of course Jack (whom she had brought up a little while earlier) was sound asleep on my arm. Poor little guy has been feeling puny the last few days, and I had no intention of dragging him out for no good reason.

Anyway, I sent her out the door, but the bus was pulling away without her as she walked out. Honestly I didn't feel awake enough to safely drive her, and like I said, I didn't want to get Jack out, so I had her ask her best friend Lola's grandmother across the street (Lola lives with her) to take her in. That sounds really presumptuous when I write it, but she leaves about that time of morning anyway, and we help each other out frequently when one or the other of us needs help with the kids. Anyway, she was kind enough to help me out, which I made sure to call and thank her for later in the day.

Daisy spent the night with my parents last night (it was her first sleepover without her sister I think). She's still battling her virus, but I think my mom wanted to give me a break since Jack is not feeling well either. He's been dealing with digestive issues since he's recently switched over to whole milk (as opposed to formula), plus he's had a fever off and on and seems like he might have picked up what Daisy has.

Daisy has also been dealing with problems with her teeth. This is something that runs in my family. My dad told me that his dentist told him that he has calcium deposits in his teeth that make them weaker and more prone to cavities. I've had to have extensive work myself. 

When Morgan was five she had enough problems that they wanted to send her to the local children's hospital so she could be put to sleep and have all the work done at once. We were ready to do it, but the balance not covered by insurance was due up front. It was $1800, and they wouldn't take payments. Unfortunately we just didn't have it, so we had to pass on the procedures. We're paying for it now as she's had about 5 appointments for fillings so far this year.

Anyway, Daisy has multiple problem teeth (we brush, I swear!), and when we took her to the dentist she was too scared to even let him properly examine her. Even with that he could see several things that need to be addressed. The only real option is to go the children's hospital route again, so at that visit plans were made to submit the request to her insurance. They told me it would take about 30 days to hear back. At the time she wasn't having any pain, so we waited. And waited. And waited. And a couple of weeks ago she started occasionally complaining that something sweet would make her tooth hurt. Then this week it suddenly got much worse. To the point that she's having problems eating much of anything that isn't super soft and lukewarm.

I called the dentist's office yesterday. It's been a couple of months since that first visit, but it turns out that their initial request for pre-approval was inexplicably rejected. They resubmitted it (which is what took so long), and had coincidentally just gotten back an approval that day. It's the same situation this time around, only this time the balance due is $1200. Fortunately my parents are able to let us borrow the money, and the office is going to call the hospital in the morning to schedule a date. The worrisome part is that they told us the average wait time is two weeks to a month. Please be in prayer that they can get her in much sooner, because I can't imagine her having to suffer through this for very long.

My dad brought her home about 12:30 today, and she napped a lot of the afternoon. Then about 3:40 I got a call. It was Morgan (who should have been on the bus by this time). She was calling to tell me the strap on her sandal had broken and asking if I would come pick her up since she had missed the bus (because she didn't want to ride it with a broken shoe and went to call me instead of getting on the bus like she should have). Okay, this really pissed me off, because, good grief, why would she think me coming to get her would be any better than just riding the freaking bus home?! Anyway, I had to load both sick littles up and drive to school to get her. 

We've dealt with the bus issue multiple times. She hates riding the bus because she doesn't like some of the kids on there. And we've checked and double checked that it's not a situation where anyone is hurting her or threatening her. That we would definitely be on top of. It's really just random kids being obnoxious (and not just to her), and like it or not, there are jerks everywhere, and she just has to learn to deal with them. Profanity and typical junior high boys humor bothers her, but she's going to face that one way or another. Nick and I have talked about it, and we both feel that just so long as it's not directed at her or manifesting itself in bullying, it's best for her to learn to handle herself, knowing that if she faces anything that needs adult attention she can most certainly come to us for support. 

I opted not to go to church tonight with two sick babies, and instead spent the time trying to unbury my kitchen table from underneath my crafting supplies, but it was a swim upstream between Jack and Daisy. Nick goes straight to church from work on Wednesdays, and today was Faith's birthday, which meant cake and ice cream after the service. All of this put him coming home around 9:00, and man was I glad to see him!

Anyway, at then end of the day, I'm awfully glad I got to be here for my kiddos (even the one that can't seem to catch a bus!), and I'm happy to haven gotten to put a hot meal in front of my amazing, hardworking husband. And now I'm happy everyone is asleep. :)

2 comments:

Aimless Rambling said...

What a day. Glad you have lots of energy to keep up. Hope Daisy gets her work done sooner rather than later.

Belle L said...

Half way through your post, I turned to my husband and told him that I'm so glad we don't have any young kids anymore. We only had one anyway, and I'm sure that is MUCH easier than having several. I can tell you that I sympathize and will continue to pray for you and yours. Love and prayers, Belle L.