Tuesday, May 17, 2005

A Sad Story

Tonight as I rounded the curve in our street just before our house I nearly had a heart attack. There was a fire truck parked on the street that runs into ours, and I was so distracted by it that I nearly ran over the fire hose that was attached to the truck directly in front of our house. My heart in my throat, I went as far as I could, slammed it in park, and jumped out of the car. As I got close, I was overwhelmed with relief to see that it wasn't our house, then stunned to see that the house directly across the street from us was in ruins. From what I could gather from the crowd of neighbors (and eventually from the father of the family that lived there) there was some sort of explosion, and the house just went up in flames. He and his wife were the only ones inside, although their daughter was somewhere on the property. Fortunately everyone got out unharmed, but the fire was devastating.

Nick and our daughter were in our driveway as I walked up, and we just huddled together and prayed for the family and thanked God for our blessings. They were able to get a few things out, and Nick offered the use of our garage for storage. They were mostly too dazed to know what to do. The poor father wandered around wrapped in a blanket, just staring at his home. Any prayers I know would be appreciated.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh man!!! That is sad. I fear fire more than naything. And it worse living in an apartment complex. They are in there A LOT>

I know that has to be the scariest feeling to come home to a site like that.

I'll pray for them, and thank God that it wasn't you guys...

Hugs,
Janet

Anonymous said...

Shocking to see your house on fire.Glad to hear no one was hurt.But you"ll never forget.

Dawn said...

tracy, we had a fire in our little town this weekend that left 6 families without homes. I felt just as helpless and sad for them. It's so scary to think it can happen THAT fast.

It's definitely my biggest fear.

*hugs*

AngelBrat said...

I went outside today, and they were speaking with their insurance person, so hopefully they were well covered.

AngelBrat said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
AngelBrat said...

I know what you mean. The thought of losing a family member makes every other problem seem nonexistant.

Anonymous said...

So very sad. The family will be in my prayers.
Angel

AngelBrat said...

Thank you. I know they appreciate it.