Sunday, May 15, 2005

The Dollar Tree and the Greatest Show on Earth

We took our little girl to the circus tonight. It was the first time for her, and the first time in years for both Nick and I. It was hugely entertaining, and it brought back all the wonder of seeing it as a child. What wasn't wonderful: the prices. Eight dollar lemonade, nine dollar cotton candy, ten dollar sno cones. And of course the wacky spinning light toys - a cool eighteen dollars. The tickets went pretty high too, although ours weren't too bad at $17.00 a piece. But they went as high as $66.00 each for floor seats. Not that we bought lemonade, cotton candy, sno cones or wacky spinning light toys. Nick did break down and get a popcorn/Coke combo for $7.00, but that's about what you'd pay at the movies.

But I remember being a kid at the circus and fervently coveting all those flashing light toys, knowing my parents were too sensible to shell out that kind of cash. Sooo...before we went, we stopped at the Dollar Tree and got 2 glow stick necklaces and 4 glow stick bracelets - for $2.00 + tax. She was just as happy and we got dinner for the whole family with the price difference.

I LOOOVE dollar only stores, but I invariably leave them feeling a little pissed off. I mean really, getting batteries for a buck a pack makes you realize how much other merchants are screwing you on some things. And the stock is so fluid at dollar stores that, while you can ALWAYS get a great deal on something, you can't necessarily count on them carrying from week to week a product you regularly use.

But they're a great source of spanky toys. They had some great bath brushes, which I may go back for in a day or two. And the glow stick jewelry came in a long, hard plastic tube to keep them from getting broken and activated before purchase. I think we may have a new implement. WEG.

6 comments:

AngelBrat said...

Hehehe...Q would catch on in a minute. Better just hope for frequent visits home.

Anonymous said...

Hehehehe...I love reading these comments.

I know what you mean about prices. They are rediculous. I have a 3 yr old whom I have not taken anywhere like that yet because I can't even get us in.

The Dollar Tree is a good place. I've gotten a few things from there. I do find the quality of the merchandise a little questionable though.

My hubby doesn't spank me so I don't have implements laaying around. But if I ever have to get re-married, and he WILL be a spanko, at least I know where to go to get implements. LOL

Glad you guys had fun.

Janet

*J* said...

I don't even feel guilty anymore when I buy candy for the kids at the gas station and sneak it into the movies.

I wouldn't mind if they were making a small premium, but the gouge is so obvious and so unfair, that sneaking candy in has become a form of self-defense!

AngelBrat said...

Thanks, Janet. :)

J, I'm glad I'm not alone here! :)

Dawn said...

Oh, I LOVE the Dollar Tree. We just had one open in our town (although I've been to them before). It's awesome for the weekly "mom, can I have .........." cuz sure, for a buck - you can have it! and when it breaks 30 minutes later, I'm not nearly as mad LOL

And the array of toys for mom! Woohoo! (*EG*)

AngelBrat said...

I know! Our little girl is usually pretty good about not asking for everything she sees, so when we got to the Dollar Tree I usually end up saying, "Go ahead! Pick something out. Pick two! It's okay!" And of course my basket is full of assorted big people toys too. WEG.