Friday, May 27, 2005

How not to get hired:

This is the call I took at work tonight:

"Hi, I'm thinking about getting a job with your company and I wondered if you guys do drug testing."

A moment of stunned silence, then "Yes, we do."

"Okay, thanks, bye."

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well....If that's just not a dead give away, I don't know what is....

Janet

AngelBrat said...

Hehehe...

Anonymous said...

What a shame... I think drug testing is pretty standard in most places these days...
J

AngelBrat said...

Especially somewhere like a bank, where you come in contact daily with sensitive customer information. I don't suppose he'll be applying.

Malcolm said...

Well, I'm behind the times. I never heard of drug testing applicants for a job. What is this world coming to? Eh? What?

AngelBrat said...

In one job I had they did RANDOM drug testing. Every so often they'd announce they were going to take hair samples that day. Thet didn't even let you pee in a cup there!

Anonymous said...

My last job did random drug testing too.

We had to go to a spacific lab where they did the pee test. Some of my coworkers had blood drawn. NOT ME!!!!

Some jobs, I don't get why they do drug screenings. I mean, why the hell do you need to screen a machanic....Well....maybe I do see that one.


Hugs,
Janet

AngelBrat said...

I guess every employer wants people focused on their jobs without the distracion drugs may cause. I've been at my job about 5 1/2 years now, and the only test I've had to take was right before I started (but after I'd been hired). Still, they can test again if they choose, and I think the possibility keeps alot of people in line.

Anonymous said...

Pathetic. No wonder George Bush was
reelected. Oh yes, drug testing is
just fine. And you can search my
house, 'cause after all, if you're
innocent you have nothing to fear.

The biggest drug problem is booze.
Yet that's just fine, isn't it?
Booze is sold by big corporations
so it must be OK.

The only excuse for a policy like
drug testing is when there is heavy
machinery involved, something that
I doubt is the case in most of these
jobs. And even in these cases, lack
of sleep can be as bad as drugs. Some
trucking companies dispense with drug
testing and test reflexes. This catches
lack of sleep, drugs and booze.