Wednesday, May 04, 2005

Improvement Made Simple

Today I was looking around the still messy house, stressing out because I knew I had to get things done and unable to find where to start. I have a tendency to overthink things when it comes to DD (and you know, everything else in my life), and I was literally approaching panic because I just couldn't seem to make myself focus.

I still haven't been spanked, and while I don't want to make it even worse when it happens, I also don't want Nick to think I'm waiting on him to punish me before I do the right thing. And so, I'm staring at one mess and thinking, "I'll just start there," and then I think, "But he won't even notice that if I don't do this other thing first. And before I do that, I need to straighten up this." And round and round.

Then all of a sudden, in a flash of brilliance (really), I picked up the phone and called him at work.

"Honey, I'm having a problem getting started on the house, and I wondered if you could give me one thing you'd like for me to have done before you get up tomorrow."

"Clean the den."

And it was that simple! I have focus! I have drive! So often I forget that Nick doesn't expect me to carry DD by myself. (Maybe he did at first, but not anymore.) If I need his help, whether it's a new rule, or a stress reliever/attitude adjustment spanking, or just renewed ambition and focus, I can just ask! That makes me pretty blessed, huh?

Off to clean the den...

9 comments:

*J* said...

Geez, that sounds familiar! I'll start cleaning in one place, and something will have to be put away somewhere else, so I will go to do that, and then get distracted by something that needs to be done in the new location....it's never ending!

AngelBrat said...

Glad I'm not the only one, guys. :) Sometimes I think, "I started this whole thing. Shouldn't I be better at it?" Fortunately, perfection is not a prerequisite for a happy marriage.:)

Dawn said...

Two Words:

Fly Lady

Honestly, it really helps for people like me with ADD and of course, 2 kids. Check out http://flylady.net

But also, wtg on asking for guidance.

Dawn said...

Duh on me - I forgot you knew about Fly Lady - LOL

AngelBrat said...

LOL! We can all stand to be reminded of FlyLady! Theoretically, I should be going to a day shift when our daughter starts preschool this fall, so hopefully that schedule will be a little more Fly friendly. :)

Anonymous said...

I can so relate to your quandry. I just look at everything and can't think of one thing to do. Then when I decide what to start on, I get sidetracked or thwarted. Some days are worse than others. Flylady has really helped in this area. But I also ask for guidance from my husband and am so glad when I get it. Anyway, hope you get back on a good track soon.

AngelBrat said...

Thanks, Chula. :)

Anonymous said...

Do you think it has something to do with 1)Hating household chores, 2) Considering it a 'thankless' task, knowing it will be undone again in a short while... 3) A waste of time when you'd rather be doing something else...? Seriously, I look at my neighbor, Mrs. Clean and Perfect, and I want to walk through mud and go visit her... I had an Aunt who worked all day beside her husband farming, then spent the night on her knees, scrubbing every inch of her already immaculate house. I refused to live like that. I like my house clean enough to be healthy, but I don't want family and friends to feel terrified to feel at home. I also freely admit that I'd rather do anything but clean house. I put off certain chores... The kitchen is the one area I insist on having clean clean at all times... Just not safe to cook meals if it isn't sanitary... BUT, even so, it does back up on me at times. My sympathies, Tracy. I know how you feel...

huggs,
Joannie

AngelBrat said...

"Seriously, I look at my neighbor, Mrs. Clean and Perfect, and I want to walk through mud and go visit her."

LOL! I know just how you feel, Joannie. And all three of your reasons hit home with me. It's very important to Nick though, and he's very important to me, so I'll muddle through. :)