Monday, March 18, 2013

The Craft Show

Hey, guys. I'm sorry I've not gotten to respond to comments on the last post until now - it's been a crazy week. The items in the pictures were as follows: 

1. and 2. Satin flowers that were made into either hair clips or brooches, as well as a few headbands.

3. 4. and 7. Leather embellished headbands.

5. Leather rose brooches.

6. Hair bows.

The hair bows (including the skull one) were $4.00 each, and they were my best seller, although I do still have the skull bow. I ended up making a ton more of those, some other hair bows, some little felted wool zipper pouches, some wood name blocks, and these little tin boxes lined with felt and containing a miniature baby, baby bottle, and teddy bear. I also had a few of my pillow covers, although I didn't really have room to display them very well. Here is a heavily cropped picture of my table. FYI, the person in the picture isn't me - it's actually the girl who told me I couldn't bring my rings. I kind of think she put me beside her so she could make sure I wasn't trying to sell them lol.







I worked literally all night - I didn't make it to bed at all. So it was a pretty rough day, but it was a moderate success. I sold some of nearly everything, but taking into account the booth fee and all the materials (not to mention time and effort!), I think I pretty much broke even. The organization hosting is still very new (this was only their second event), so I think it will get bigger and better as they hold more events. I'm not terribly upset - I can list the items I didn't sell in my Etsy shop as soon as I have time, and if it doesn't sell there I'll have a jump on stocking the next show in July (if I participate). 

I've decided for now though to just box up almost all of my crafting stuff until I (hopefully one day) have a craft room. I love doing it all, but I just don't have the room for it right now. My living room is clean (along with my kitchen counters) thanks to Nick, who not only watched the kids and cleaned house while I was gone, but had dinner waiting when I got home. But my kitchen table is quite literally buried under a mountain of ribbon, fabric, various sewing and crafting tools and machines, etc. 

I've been trying hard to bring in a little bit of income, but I've realized that the effort and time I'm putting into that can be much better spent just working to make the house run smoothly and taking care of my husband and kids. That's the job God has given me at this season of my life, and if I concentrate on doing what He wants me to do, He will take care of our income needs.

Anyway, I've got to get to bed. Our brand new TV keeps randomly turning itself off and then back on, so we've got a repairman coming in the morning. 

3 comments:

Aimless Rambling said...

Sorry it didn't go as well as you hoped after all your efforts.

A confused subs feelings said...

I will gladly buy a couple bows off you especially the cute skull one. maybe even a ring or two

ronnie said...

I think you did really well to break even when there must have been many other stalls selling crafts.

Love,
Ronnie
xx