There was a little excitement earlier this week. Wednesday night at church my mom mentioned that she'd like to keep the kids for me for a few hours the next day so that I could have some time alone for housework or whatever else I needed, and Nick mentioned that he was planning to participate in a ride with a local bicycle shop the next day after work. So Thursday I took the kids up to my parents' house around 2:00. I expected to have them back home around 8:00, so I dropped them off and headed to the Dollar Tree to do some last minute Easter basket shopping. I was on the hunt for some of these sunglasses for Morgan.
These are apparently the sunglasses to have among the 6th grade set, and she's collected about 6 different pairs so far. They're not terribly expensive most places, but when I heard about the Dollar Tree stocking them with their spring stuff I immediately made plans to blow ten bucks on becoming the coolest mom EVER. Unfortunately several trips to different locations only yielded a single lonely pair.Anyway, besides the point. I had finished my nearly fruitless shopping trip and was almost back home, looking forward to a few hours to spend cleaning house kid free and coming up with a tasty dinner, when my mom called. She said that Daisy was sick, running a fever and saying over and over that she was "so tired", not at all typical for my rambunctious three year old. My dad would be bringing them all home shortly, so with a sigh I headed on home myself.
When they got home she was running a fever, but it kept fluctuating between 100.4 and 102.8. She was also very lethargic. I put in a call to her pediatrician's after hours line and waited for a call back. When the nurse on call rang, I explained that she had a fever and seemed really lethargic, and asked if I needed to go ahead and treat the fever or if I needed to maybe bring her in. She'd fallen asleep by then, so with the nurse on the line I tried to wake her. She would open her eyes, but she wouldn't engage with me, and she kept going back to sleep. I could tell she was sick, but I wasn't really expecting the nurse's emphatic advice to call 911.
Honestly, it didn't seem quite that serious to me, but her reaction certainly ratcheted up my concern, so I called Morgan back home from where she was playing next door so she could watch Jack. I tried to call Nick, then remembered that he was on his bike ride and probably would be out of touch. I called my mom, who was stuck at home with only my dad's old truck, which she's not great at driving. She called my dad and Robert, who were out doing church visitation. I also tried to call my in-laws to come stay with the kids, but my MIL thought it was Morgan calling and didn't answer because she was busy.
My dad called me in the car and told me he and Robert would meet me at the hospital. Then finally my dad reached Nick who immediately called me. By this time Daisy was awake and talking, although she still felt obviously unwell. When we got to the hospital I met my dad and brother and got her checked in at the ER. Her vitals were all great, and the ER staff seemed a little surprised that I'd brought her in. Anyway, long story a tiny bit shorter, it turned out she has some sort of virus, and they sent us home with instructions to treat it with fluids, rest, and ibuprofen for the next 5-7 days.
Meanwhile, I had told Nick to just go home to the kids (since I had been unable to reach anyone to come watch them). He arrived home to find my mom (who had managed to get the truck running and in gear) sweeping the living room and his dad and stepmom entertaining Jack. They had dropped by on their own and were terribly upset to find out that the call they hadn't answered was me calling for help. Anyway, it all ended well, although our girl is still feeling under the weather.
Today (er, yesterday I guess) Morgan and I went to an Arbonne party at our friend Melanie's house. There were free foot baths and facials, and the consultant turned out to be a girl I went to school with for 11 years but that I hadn't seen in about 18. Melanie also asked me to bring some of my Etsy inventory, and I sold $20 worth, a nice little bonus.
Jack is walking quite well now, and he just gets cuter every day! It's hard to believe he'll be 15 months old on Tuesday. I gave the kids their Easter baskets tonight, and he was so adorable exploring his. Most of what was in all of them was thrift store stuff, but they were all so grateful and thrilled with it all!
Tomorrow (well, today) we will go to church, then to Nick's grandmother's house for Easter dinner. It will be her first without Nick's grandfather, and I think it will be a little sad for all of us. It's a sweet thing to know though, that because our Savior rose that first Easter, we will see him again!
Anyway, I'm off to bed - may you all have a blessed day!


2 comments:
Happy Easter to you and yours.
I'm so glad that your little one was not in too serious of condition. I can understand how upset you must have been, when the nurse told you to call 911. As a nurse, myself, I understand why the nurse told you that, because without a whole lot more questions, her perception of "unresponsive" can be so many different things. Sounds like there is a lot of love in your family. I will pray that your little one feels better real soon, and that none of the rest of you get it. I'm glad you were able to enjoy some of your day. Happy Easter. May you celebrate it not just today, but always in your heart. God bless you and yours, -Belle L.
Post a Comment