I made one for both Faith and Melanie a few months ago, and they loved them, so I did one for Kelly too. Then I started on some burp cloths. A few months ago my trusty iron that I got for my wedding quit on me. I was going to go buy one, but my mom, frequenter of estate auctions, had several, so she just gave me one of her extras. It had been working great, so when I plugged it up that night I was expecting no trouble. But when I took my fabric to the ironing board several minutes later, it was stone cold. No amount of turning it off and on or cord wiggling or new outlet trying could coax the least bit of heat from it. So I found myself heading to Wal-mart at 1 AM to buy a replacement. I went back and forth and finally decided on one of the least expensive models. When I got back home and opened it, I was most irritated to find that the whole tip of the iron plate was broken off! I couldn't see myself making another trip, so I just used it as it was and decided to return it the next day.
I did the carrier handle cushion, two burp cloths, and three skirts. Nick, who had fallen asleep on the couch, woke up about 4:30, just after I finished the first skirt. I told him my whole iron saga, and he didn't seem terribly upset that I was still up. He headed up to bed, and I told him I would be up shortly. Unfortunately, shortly turned into 6:30.
The next day at lunch Nick asked me what time I'd come to bed, and he wasn't happy with the answer, especially since we had all ended up oversleeping and missed church that morning. (Not entirely my fault I don't think. It was Daylight Saving Time change weekend, and he overslept too!) But I didn't realize I was in trouble until that evening.
Nick runs the sound booth during our church services, so it's rare for us to get to sit together. Occasionally we will shoot each other short texts (generally not during the preaching). This was the conversation we had:
(Me) So sleepy...
(Him) Maybe if you went to bed at 2 instead of 6:30...
(Me) Possibly
(Him) Probably
(Me) I'm unconvinced.
(Him) Later I'll show you.
(Me) Nah, I'm good.
(Him) Too bad. It's already been earned.
(Me) You're no fun.
He didn't get a chance to do it for a couple of days, but finally Wednesday night at bedtime he had me come up with him. There was some lecturing, and I did plenty of assuring him that I was sorry and that I understood why I have a bedtime and why it doesn't work for the family for me to stay up all night, but there was no real question that I would be getting a spanking. He got a new tactical belt for Christmas, and he decided to try it out. It was the first time I've ever been spanked with a nylon belt, but it was very thick and stiff, and every bit as painful as leather. It was also very loud. I don't know how many licks I got, but enough to make me very glad when it was over.
The good news is that Kelly loved all her stuff. I was also able to make her a few of the other things on my list (before bedtime!) and take them to her at church Wednesday. All the pictures of the stuff I gave her at her shower include her in them, so I can't post them here, but I did think to snap a picture of the items I made later: another skirt, two pairs of shoes, a nursing scarf (the gray fabric) and a diaper clutch (to keep a few diapers and a small case of wipes in for quick changes on the go).
Friday I got to go to Melanie's house along with Kelly and one of her friends, and Melanie taught us the basics of crochet. It's something I've wanted to learn for ages, and it was a lot of fun having some girl time.
On Saturday Morgan had her first soccer game. They lost, but only by one point, and her team is quite good this season. Afterwards we went to McDonald's and let the kids play on the play equipment. Jack and Daisy had a blast, and of course Morgan was too cool to play on it, but was gracious enough to climb up in there to keep an eye on Jack for us. Morgan has been struggling lately with some teen angst issues, and they've been manifesting themselves in some unhealthy ways. She's started doing a bit better, but I would really appreciate your prayers for her (and us as we parent her!).
Saturday afternoon I did three month pictures for Brandon and Melanie's baby boy J, and it was exhausting! Fortunately my sweet husband fixed dinner for me. :)
Sunday night there was huge drama. Daisy...cut her hair! And I don't mean a little bit. She basically butchered it. Nick flipped out. He was furious! I wasn't thrilled about it either, but well, it's kind of something a lot of three and four year olds do at one time or another. I called Nick's stepmom (who does our hair), and she agreed to come and try to fix it the next day. When she saw it, she was kind of taken aback, but I told her we knew it was going to have to be pretty short, so she waded in. There were spots that were less than an inch long, so she ended up with a pixie cut, almost exactly like Maggie Gyllenhaal here, but a little shorter around the ears:
Guys, I wish I could post a picture here, because she looks so freaking CUTE! I was resigned to it because it was better than the cut she gave herself - I didn't expect to love it! She has these big huge Disney Princess eyes like Katy Perry, so she still looks very girly, and with her dimples she looks like a mischievous woodland sprite, or a miniature Audrey Hepburn (although Audrey didn't have those dimples)! I'm sure we'll let it grow back out, but for now I'm glad we were forced into a cut we would've never had the nerve to get on our own!
Today Elizabeth came over for a while. She had laundry she needed to do and no money to do it (they use a laundromat), and I needed help unburying my kitchen table (which is going to get me spanked again if it's not done by Friday). So I let her use our washer and dryer, and she helped me clean.
I've got so much stuff to do in the next few weeks! A list:
Skirts (2) for craft exchange
Shoes for craft exchange
Ring for craft exchange
Pillow Cover for craft exchange
Acorn Pillow for craft exchange
Pack gnome figurine and ribbon for craft exchange
10 xl pom poms for cupcake liners/garland
Make cupcake garland
Make 15 makeup bags
String washers for washer necklaces
Make 15 Rosettes for necklaces
String Rosettes
Make 15 Leather Bow Barrettes
Make brush pouch for nail brushes
Make pillowcase shirt for Morgan
Finish J's pictures
Easter bunnies for Logan, A, and J
Make shirts into short sleeves for Maddox
Leather envelope, Knot Bracelet and leather barrette and bracelet for Kit
Mail Easter stuff for Maddox and Kit
Make Daisy's Easter dress
Mother's Day gifts - stitch markers, dish cloths (crocheted)
Order of three pillow covers for Faith.
Anyway, I'm off to bed so I can get some rest and got some of this stuff done!




2 comments:
Wow, the infant carrier handle cover is a great idea. My niece is expecting a baby boy soon. If only I were crafty!
I hope you took some photos of Daisy's hair before it got fixed up. I'm sure it was very frustrating at the time but it will likely be a funny experience to reflect on one day!
I will keep Morgan in my prayers. It is more difficult than ever to be a teenager these days I think, what with social media and and all the rest. She is very blessed to have such wonderful parents.
You sound like you are going to be busy, busy, busy with that to-do list! Hopefully you will have a chance to keep us updated. It is always such fun to read your posts. Take care!
I'm glad you are learning to crochet! I'm teaching myself after years of wishing i could do it! So far I've figured out single crochet, double crochet and crochet in the round beginning with a magic loop. Can't wait to see what you come up with!
Post a Comment