Monday, September 11, 2006

In Remembrance














Picture found on CZBrats

My mom woke us that morning with the panicked message that the Pentagon was on fire and someone had crashed two planes into the World Trade Center. We tumbled out of bed to face a changed world. Nick and I were 22 and 23, brand new parents of a 5 month old baby girl, and we asked ourselves over and over again what we had done by bringing a child into this world.

We watched the screen of our tiny 13 inch TV as the second tower fell, as fellow Americans leapt to a less horrifying death than the flames that reached for them, as every face that flashed across the screen howled in rage and fear. We huddled together, our tiny family suddenly both connected to every other citizen and yet utterly alone.

I remember the unrealized horror of the empty sky above us, the panic inducing roar of distant vehicles that somehow sounded like murderous planes.

That day my foundation was shaken to a level I had never before fathomed. Today I can still feel the reverberations. I'm politely asking everyone to please keep politics off of here, but I want us to all stop and remember.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very touching picture.

"as fellow Americans leapt to a less horrifying death than the flames that reached for them"... that is something that still greatly impacts us both. The anger that hard working people minding their own business we're faced with such horror.

-Todd & Suzy

Paul said...

Tracy, no politics, just sadness.
Hugs,
Paul.

Anonymous said...

It was a sad sad day.

I had my daughter when I was 22. 2 months after her birth, the US fought Desert Storm. I remember thinking, why did I bring an innocent child into this world? I know those feelings well.

We will never forget.

HUGS
Grace

Anonymous said...

I live in Queens and attended a memorial service Saturday for those who lived in our neighborhood and were victims. Our Zip Code in Queens lost 34 people. Children who will never see their parents again the firefighters who lived in the area and the local rescue squad who lost their entire shift that morning. It is a day that is I will never forget and each year it brings another round of tears, Sadness yes it is really sad.

John

AngelBrat said...

Thank you all for your comments

Anonymous said...

I echo all that you have said and, in fact, I had arrived in New York from England on vacation on September 10th and first heard the news of a plane hitting the towers while standing in a deli queue on Broadway on the morning of the 11th.

I wandered round New York that day, shops and public buildings closed, like someone in a post nuclear daze. I have been to New York many times before and seen it at its most ebullient but that day was sombre and sad, yet those New Yorkers I met that day were so calm and dignified and I have never had so much respect for a city and its people.

It's a day I will never forget.

Alex

Dawn said...

tracy, what a great post. I purposely stayed away from most blogs this week because of what I expected to be alot of empty talk about such a huge tragedy. Your post was perfect, and echoes my own thoughts, (no politics) and also, what had we done (our son was 4). The images are burned in my mind forever, because I was actually watching when the first plane hit as well - ran to wake hubby up and he said it first - terrorists. Every year, my son asks about Sept 11, and what it means, and every year, I have trouble finding the words. Even having our 2nd, and now 3rd children post 9/11, I wonder if we've done the right thing. The world certainly did change forever that day.

AngelBrat said...

Alex, thank you for sharing a unique viewpoint on the tragedy and the strong people who lived through it.

LC, thank you. I had to face trying to explan it to Morgan this year, and it's so hard to find the words.