Thursday, November 10, 2005

Old Wounds and New

The past two days have been draining. Last night was the receiving of family and friends for my mamaw. It was really a blessing to see the number of people who came to see her. Her's was the only viewing, and it was hard to find a parking place at the funeral home. The line into the chapel was nearly out the front door.

Sadly, there was some unnecessary stress too. First, some background:

My mamaw was my dad's mother. What happened had nothing to do with her. Okay, about twenty years ago, my mom's dad had an affair. Well, he had several, but this one was the worst, because of the woman it was with. Let's call her Jezebel. Jezebel is my mom's age, twenty years younger than my grandfather. My Nanny was a precious person, sweet and forgiving, and unwilling to harbor a grudge against anyone. Which makes what this woman did that much worse. Through the affair (which ended when my grandfather found out what Jezebel was doing), she would call my Nanny and taunt her. An example: my Nanny got a call in the middle of the night when she was alone. It was Jezebel. "Hey, Penny, guess where Jack is." Then she held the phone up so that my Nanny could hear her husband snoring beside this bitch.

Fast forward twenty years. My mamaw needed constant in home care. My family found and hired a very nice lady. Then my mamaw began to improve, and the lady moved on to another job. When mamaw began to decline again, they asked the lady to come back, but she was already committed to her new job. However, she did have a friend who'd worked in a nursing home, and she recommended that the family hire her. They hired the friend...who turned out to be Jezebel. My dad's sisters (who did the hiring) didn't know the history, and when my mom found out what was going on, she told them. However, by this time my mamaw was pretty attached to Jezebel, and she was doing a good job of caring for her, so things were left as standing.

My grandfather visited my mamaw in the hospital once, and Jezebel flirted with him the whole time. My mom, ever longsuffering, let it go, even though it hurt to watch this hateful bitch act like she had every right to flaunt their history. She made no secret of the fact that she and my grandfather had a past, although her remarks would seem innocent enough if you didn't know the story. It was like she was deliberately flinging it in my mom's face.

Last night at the receiving, Nick and I walked in and sat down, then looked over. There was my grandfather, sitting with Jezebel, flirting like the old fool that he is, and she was lapping it up. My mom finally walked up to him, leaned down and whispered in his ear that he needed to GET UP. Jezebel got the sourest look on her face, and my grandfather, looking like a scolded child, got up and left completely. My mom sat down by Jezebel, apologized for any awkwardness, and generally treated the bitch much better than she deserved.

Jezebel spent the next hour flitting around the room, whispering and giggling to various people about what my mom had done. Finally, I walked up to her and said, "You were very good to my mamaw, and I appreciate that. But I loved both of my grandmothers very much, and I love my mom even more. I know that you think she's a pious meddler, but she has the courage of her convictions, and I'd appreciate it if you would show some respect to her and to our family."

She got this stunned "Who do you think you are" look on her face and said, "What do you mean, SHOW RESPECT? I haven't done anything disrespectful. I love your mom!"

I answered, "I've watched you walk around all night and talk to everyone about her when she's been nothing but kind to you, and I don't appreciate it."
"YOU'RE WRONG! I've not said anything bad about her!"

"If I'm wrong, I apologize, but that's what I've heard from you, and I wouldn't be a good daughter if I didn't say what I think."

Immediately, she ran to the back of the room and demanded of my poor mother if she'd done anything disrespectful to her. (Besides sleep with her dad and rub it in her mom's face, I thought). My mom, of course, said, "No, of course not!"

"Then you need to tell your daughter that, because she seems to think I have!"

My mom had no idea of the venom this woman had been spreading, and she looked at me in shock and begged me to apologize. I politely refused, stating that I'd meant everything that I said. Jezebel began yelling again, and I said, "This is a funeral home. We are not going to have this conversation here."

Jezebel stalked off, and I explained to my mom why I'd confronted her. Honestly, if it was just what happened when I was a kid, I wouldn't have felt like it was the time or the place (or even my place) to speak to her, but I CANNOT stand for people to talk about my mother behind her back. It's true, she drives me crazy all the time, but she's my mom, and no one else gets to talk about her. My mom apologized to me for asking me to apologize to Jezebel. Both Nick and I (and Morgan) and my parents left very soon after.

Everyone was going to my mamaw's house to eat, and I really didn't feel up to it, but I wasn't going to leave my mom alone with her, so we went too. We pulled in right behind my parents. My mom went in, and my dad stayed behind to walk me in. He told me that I'd said what needed to be said and that I had nothing to apologize for. He and Nick both told me that they were proud of me. But walking into that house was one of the most awkward experiences of my life. You could cut the tension with a knife. My dad decided after a minute to get my mom out of there before she arrived, and Nick and I left too. She pulled up just as we were leaving. Today I found out that several other people left when she came in.

I expected some of that awkwardness to remain at the funeral today, but fortunately, it never came up. It was however, just as exhausting as yesterday was. I honestly didn't expect to be as broken up as I was. I really thought I'd dealt with my emotions over the past couple of weeks, but it was just wrenching to see my aunts and my parents just collapse in grief. I'm just glad that it's over.

11 comments:

Bonnie said...

Tracy,

Wow. Let's hear it for doing what is right, even when it's not the easy course. I salute your courage and your strength.

Here's wishing you a little well-earned peace and quiet.

*Hugs*

spankmewithaspoon said...

I understand the delicacies of elder care and the quality of genuine emotional attachment one wants in a caregiver. BUT the fact is This woman Jezebel (at this point) was JUST THE HIRED HELP. She needed to pay her respects and get out of there, lest she make the funeral a theater in which she could make it all about her. Which she did. She is lucky she didn't leave with someone's handprint across her face, or footprint on her butt. She sounds like a "hysteric sociopath" and I would caution you and yours to guard against the drama continuing.

I know I sound firm, and also send you my condolences. I am somewhat on a crusade against "denial" , and I empathize with you having to deal with the swirl of painful dramatic emotions when they fight themselves out in your head. By your only candle you will send your mamaw off in your own precious time.

AngelBrat said...

Thank you, Bonnie. (((H)))

SMWAS, thank you. You're absolutely right - hysteric sociopath is just what she is. Thank you for the encouragement. :)

Anonymous said...

Oh, Tracy. What an awful situation. Your mother must be very patient to have tolerated this woman as she did. I'm so sorry that your grandma's goodbye was marred in this way. I'm glad that Nick and your Dad were able to express their appreciation for the stand that you took. You must be exhausted. I wish you peace.
Kristi

Dawn said...

Good for you and standing up for your mom! A Mom's job is to drive US crazy, but don't let ANYONE say anything about them... cuz no matter what, they're still our mom. Yay for you.

As for your mammaw, I understand your feelings too. I thought I'd reconciled myself to losing my grandmother (my nana) before she died, but nope... it was still very raw. *hugs* to both you & nick.

~LC

Anonymous said...

Tracy, bravo to you for standing up for your Mother! That woman could have just come to pay her respects to your Grandma and left quickly. It was obvious she wanted to be the center of attention. You were right in protecting your Mom. I'm glad that Nick and your Dad supported you. I'm sending you a big hug and want to say what a wonderful daughter and granddaughter you are.
Angel

AngelBrat said...

Thank you, Kristi, LC, and Angel. It's such a sweet thing to have friends like you.

Hugs,

Tracy

C's Correction said...

Dear Tracy,

I felt such raw emotion in your words... I lost my grandmother too, who I was very close to.

Unfortunately there are many 'Jezebels' out there!! She isn't worth the stress. She clearly wanted to cause as much drama & conflict as possible!

Well done for standing up for your mom!!

*Smiles*

C

AngelBrat said...

Thank you, C. :)

Anonymous said...

Awwww, Tracy, I'm so sorry to hear what you've been through. It's never easy to lose someone you love so much, but to have added to the grief an untennable situation as this, makes it even more difficult to bear. I'm so proud of you for defending your Mom, and standing up for your beliefs. In my book you did nothing wrong. Sometimes you simply have to speak up and say what needs to be said. It took a lot of courage.
Hugggggs,
And my sympathy, too...
Joannie

AngelBrat said...

Thank you, Joannie. :)

Hugs,
Tracy