Monday, September 15, 2014

A New Addiction

So it was only a few days ago that I was introduced to the Outlander series. I had heard of it in passing, but it honestly didn't sound interesting to me. Then I read a post by Rogue where she mentions it along with showing an art poster depicting a rather interesting scene from the first book. Needless to say, my interest was piqued, so I did some research and thought perhaps checking out the TV series would be worthwhile. Fortunately we have Starz on our cable package, and I was delighted to see that there were already 6 episodes available. I really wanted to watch the series with Nick, but he didn't seem too interested. Fortunately he gave it a chance for me, and after the first episode we were both truly hooked. We watched the first 4 hours last night and the next 2 hours tonight. And now we're trying to reconcile ourselves to the fact that we have to wait till Saturday for the next episode. I'm holding out very little hope that any of the books will be available any time soon at our library, so I'm thinking I may need to head to our used book store sometime soon to trade in some old books for a used copy of as many of the series as I can find.

Nick's heritage is Scottish, and when he was a kid his grandparents took him to the Highland Games every year. I admit, Jamie and Claire have me quite stirred up with fantasies about my own rugged Scotsman, and I've let Nick know I'll have him in a kilt before it's done. :) 

As I've not read the books yet, I'm not sure, but I think the episode where Jamie spanks Claire for running away must be coming up relatively soon. I know that at the very least it's been filmed already. And yes, I'm looking forward to it, although I'm a little nervous to watch it with Nick. Not because I'm afraid it will stir him to reenact it :), rather the opposite actually. I'm afraid it may appear abusive, when what I've read of the scene doesn't come off that way to me. It seems to me that she ended up with a much longer and harder spanking than she had to because she refused to cooperate, something I've done myself many times, and I think she deserved every lick (as did I). I just don't want Nick to see something like that and it make him feel like that sort of thing is brutal and it maybe color his view of spanking in our own relationship. That's probably a silly fear almost 11 years into DD, but the last spanking I got ended probably before it should have because he felt like he was being too hard on me. Truthfully, I was rather unhappy in the moment, but even at the time I knew I needed more, and I wasn't even tender 5 minutes after he stopped.

Anyway, I'm off to see if I can find a source for his clan's tartan. :)

6 comments:

Aimless Rambling said...

Hope you find the books.

Violet said...

I've never heard of this show! Perhaps I should give it a try - sounds interesting!!

grace said...

I have read the outlander books at least 3 times! I have the books and I have them on my kindle! The starz show is awesome! Bossman and I watch it every week and I'm sad there are only 2 more episodes! I don't want to wait until spring!

Not sure how they will handle the spanking scene. I don't want to build it up and then be disappointed. With only 2 more episodes, I'm not sure they will get to it.

Read the books! The first book starts off slow....don't give up because it gets soooooo good!

Rogue said...

It's a GREAT show, isn't it? Definitely ready the books and don't be intimated by their size, you're reeled right in. It's an amazing story. :)

AngelBrat said...

Thanks, Sunny - me too!

Violet, it's awesome so far!

Grace, I'm so jealous! I can't wait to get my hands on the books. From interviews I've read, it's supposed to be played just like it's written, so here's hoping!

Rogue, I'm so hooked! Thanks for sharing!

grace said...

It's not exactly the same, but it's doing a really good job of staying true to the story.