Saturday, August 20, 2005

Unexpected Freedom

Well, my baby has gotten through her first two days of school. And exceedingly well, I must say. She's honestly loved it, had a ton of fun, and been pretty well behaved. I took the last two days off from work because my 10-7 shift doesn't start until Monday, and I didn't want to be working until midnight her first two days.

My mom is the bookkeeper for the school she's attending, so she's picked her up on her way in to work the last couple of days. This has left me in the strange position of dealing with neither work nor childcare for a solid 8 hours at a time. It was weird. I went for a walk. I did some badly needed cleaning. I went grocery shopping. And nobody was waiting at home for me. It was a curious type of liberation I've not had in over seven years. Even before our wedding day, Nick and I kept track of each other - not out of obsession - just out of infatuation.

I wouldn't want to live my life this way - no one to answer to, consider, keep track of, come home to. But it was nice to enjoy the freedom for a couple of days.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes, indeed. It is a strange kind of freedom and feels odd. I remember the first time that I walked across a parking lot with no stroller and no baby in my arms. It felt really weird. I felt like I had left something behind or come out half naked or something. lol

Hope you enjoy your new freedom, in large or small doses.

AngelBrat said...

Lol! All during my walk I kept having momentary panics that I'd somehow left the little one at home asleep!