Tuesday, August 16, 2005

One Door Closed...

Well, I didn't get the job. Worse, my friend (who I'll call Alyce) didn't get it either. If it wasn't going to be me, I wanted it to be her, and she felt the same way. This was really hard for me for several reasons, the first one being that I just really wanted it. I'm qualified, and I would really have been good in the position.

The second reason it's hard is because of the person who did get it. It went to the girl who trained me when I started with the company. That might seem like it would be easier, but the fact is, this person is just not qualified. She really didn't do a good job training my class back then, and she doesn't do a good job in general servicing accounts now. I personally, well before this job opened up, took numerous calls dealing with accounts she had made considerable errors on. And I'm not the only one. Several others I talked to at the time shared similar experiences. The thing is, you can't just go to your boss and say, "You can't give it to her! She's a screw-up!" Also, several years ago, she left the company to go work for a competitor for four months. When she came back, they restored all of her seniority, vacation, sick time, rate of pay, etc.

If Alyce had gotten the job, I would be able to say, "Fine, I wish it had been me, but she'll do a good job, and they made a good choice." But I just don't think this person is right for it. She doesn't have good people skills, she's not loyal to the company, and she's not thorough in her work - all of which is necessary for a training position. The immediate supervisor of myself and Alyce is absolutely outraged, and he basically came out and said that they'd made a mistake. He seems to think that will be obvious pretty soon.

Either way, it was a decision that hurt, but I know that there is a reason that God closed this door. Something better is out there for both Alyce and me, and we both honestly believe that. My boss told me that my presentation and interview were fantastic, and that it was truly a tough decision. I know that what I gave them was good, great even. Maybe the person they chose just said the right things. But, at least my name is out there, and they know what I can do. Our department is growing incredibly rapidly, and there will be other opportunities.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, Tracy, I'm sorry you didn't get that job. You worked so hard. It's just beyond frustrating when bad decisions are made and everybody knows it except the people who made them. Hugs, girl. You're right. God has something better in mind for you.


Katy

Anonymous said...

Tracy,

I am so sorry to hear about the job!!!!!! I agree there is something better in the cards for you!!!!!!! Keep your head up!

the wench said...

:) It will all work out. Just watch.

You had the great experience of stretching for something too. That will stay with you and pay off when the next door opens, and you know what, it may well be that it has & you've already stepped onto the threshold.

So often when it's come down to the wire and I have a hard decision to make about a promotion, the talents of those who I had to defer stay very high on my ideas and opportunities list.

hang in there.

Anonymous said...

Tracy, what everyone here said is right. You took a chance, gave them the best interview and finished in the final group. That will open other doors for you some where, some day. I'm sorry that this time it didn't work out. I really am.

Now, I would get really bitchy and moody for a couple of days if that happened to me. I think you qualify for a big pout and sulk party. A pity party for one! Go ahead. Then Nick can give you are really great stress buster and you will feel terrific! WEG

See don't you feel better already?
Angel

AngelBrat said...

Katy, hbspanker, Kay, Patty, and Angel, thank you all for such warm words of encouragement.

Patty, it was particularly helpful to hear from someone who's sometimes on the other side of it. I feel like my preformance in both the interview and the presentation was memorable, and you just might be right that it may have already opened another door. You guys are all so awesome!

And, Angel, I'm going to mention that idea to Nick!

Anonymous said...

Awwww, Tracy, I'm sorry this didn't work out... but you know, I have a good feeling... Maybe you didn't get this position THIS time, but that doesn't mean they aren't saving you for something else that hasn't been announced yet... I know you put this in God's hands... and just trust that there is better waiting for you. Keep your head up, a smile on your face, and do your best work. It will make a great impression and show that you are truly a team player.

I'm sure Nick understands about the house... A little 'help' to get you motivated will be a nice and loving reminder that life moves on, and that he values you very much. :)

Folks have been asking about you on the forum... Hope you will drop by and let them know so they can cheer you up!

hugggs,
Joannie

AngelBrat said...

Thanks, Joannie. :)

Anonymous said...

*Hugs* I'm sorry...but you know, something better is in the wings for you...:)

AngelBrat said...

Hugs - thanks, Annissaa. :)

AngelBrat said...

Thanks, Jo. :)