Thursday, September 20, 2012

So after vacation...

By the time we got home that Sunday night, I was feeling pretty sick. Like the type of miserable sick where you feel like someone is constantly poking you with a stick and just won't let you rest. Within a couple of days the kids were sick too. Yep, all three of them. Jack had actually woken up with crusty eyes Sunday morning, but he seemed to feel fine, so I just made plans to take him to the doctor when we got back.

By the next morning (Monday) it had developed into a full blown cold, and I took him in to the doctor. They said it was a little bit of conjunctivitis and a cold, and prescribed him eyedrops. By Tuesday night he was running a high fever (105.5). I called the nurse on call, and she told me to bring him in the next day. When we got to the pediatrician's office they put a pulse-oxygen monitor on him and were concerned enough with his oxygen levels to give him 2 separate breathing treatments there in the office before sending us to the children's hospital for xrays. I had both girls with me (Daisy had developed a cold and an ear infection by this time). My mom came and picked up the girls, and I headed to the hospital with Jack. Nick met us there.

Bless his heart, Jack was so miserably sick, still running a fever and throwing up every time they tried to give him Advil. Finally they xrayed him and came back saying they thought it could possibly be pneumonia. They started him on antibiotics and admitted him. I sent Nick home once we got settled because he was supposed to work the next day. Meanwhile at my parents' house, Daisy had gotten very, very sick herself, fever, coughing, vomiting, the whole nine yards.

By the morning Jack was feeling so much better. Nick called in to work and came by. The respiratory specialist came by early and told us that it was apparently something viral and not pneumonia, because the antibiotics had almost cleared up the area on the xray that they thought was pneumonia, and that he would probably be able to go home before lunch time. This turned out to be wishful thinking, only because it was close to 5PM by the time we could get a doctor to show up and release him.

My parents brought the girls home and we spent the night resting. We had a follow up appointment for Jack the next day, and I called and got an appointment for Daisy too. It turned out that she had conjunctivitis too, as well as a bad cold, so they prescribed eye drops for her too. By then my cold had mostly gone away except for the fact that my right ear was completely blocked. Nick insisted I go see someone, so I went to a walk-in clinic, and it turned out I had an ear infection. $135 later I walked out with a prescription for antibiotics and a freshly irrigated right ear (a thoroughly unpleasant experience).

By the time I went to pick the kids up (Mom had watched them while I went to the clinic), Morgan was complaining of ear pain. It was too late to get her in to see the pediatrician that day, so when Nick got home he took her down to the same walk-in clinic where she was diagnosed with, yep, an ear infection. Fortunately Nick managed to avoid getting sick, thanks I'm sure to the tons of prayers we were all sending up. Unfortunately my parents both got sick the next week, my mom with pneumonia, which was pretty rough on her.

Morgan started school (middle school!!) on the 14th, so the 13th I spent attending her orientation. I can't believe my baby is in middle school! I spent all that week cleaning house getting all the vacation stuff unpacked (finally) and working on stuff for my sister-in-law Kelly's baby shower I was throwing her with Kate. Kate and her two kids came in on Wednesday (the 22nd). It was really nice to get to see them again so soon after vacation. Usually we see them maybe twice a year if we're lucky.

Now I got an embroidery machine with part of the money Will and Kate gave us for Christmas last year, and it had been sitting unopened in my closet since January due to a lack of time and space to open it up and learn how it worked. But I got all my craft stuff consolidated and my kitchen table nice and clear and decided to get it out and play with it. I actually wanted to use it to embroider my nephew's name on a sweet little tote bag to give to Kelly at the shower. So I open it up and put it all together and realize the foot pedal is missing. Then I realized the front accessory tray was also missing. And all of the bobbins. And the training CD. So I call Wal-Mart up and tell them this embroidery machine I bought as new (NOT as an open box/floor model!) was missing some pieces. So they tell me to bring it down. Then they tell me they can't help me since I bought it more than 90 days ago, even though I had just opened it. This made me furious, not because of the return policy, but because they had clearly accepted it as a return from someone and boxed it back up and stuck it out on the shelf as brand new without even bother to check that the major structural components were in the box!

They suggested I call the Brother Company, but they were no more help. They said that since it had been more than 30 days all they could do was sell me the missing parts and waive the shipping charges. So I took it down to our local Sew N Vac to see if they could find at least a foot pedal for it. They sold me a used one for $25. Unfortunately I still couldn't get the machine to work.

By then I needed to concentrate on the baby shower, so I gave up on the tote bag. The baby shower was on the 25th at our church, and it wasn't super fancy, but it was still very cute. Kelly loved it, and she got a ton of great stuff, and we all got to spend some extra time with Kate and kids, so it was a win all around.

After Kate went back home I turned back to my embroidery machine. I ended up taking it back down to Sew N Vac where the nicest guy ever worked on it for a hour for me, replacing yet another part (this one damaged, not missing) and charging me a grand total of 19.99 plus tax. It now works great, and I just need to buy some stabilizer so I can embroider more stuff!

Life's been mostly pretty calm since then. We went up to the cabin for a fish fry the Saturday before Labor Day. Daisy came down with strep throat that weekend, although she's all better now. Business has picked up some in my etsy shop, which it pretty neat. Kelly's baby is due in 14 days, and Daisy will be 3 in 15 days. Where on earth has the time gone?

Speaking of time, I don't know if you knew this, but it's only 13 1/2 weeks till Christmas. Proceed panicking.



No comments: