Sunday, March 08, 2009

A wonderful vacation

Well, we're finally back from Hawaii! It was truly lovely, although I have to admit that I'm glad to be back home - I missed Morgan terribly! We stayed at the Hilton Hawaiian Village, which was truly amazing. The room was beautiful, and it looked right out over the harbor! There was even a rainbow on our second day there!








We got to go to the Polynesian Cultural Center, which was really quite fascinating. As the website states : "Many South Pacific nations are represented at the Polynesian Cultural Center, where recreated villages, exhibits and hands-on activities highlight eight of them: Samoa, Aotearoa (Maori New Zealand), Fiji, Hawaii, Marquesas, Tahiti, Tonga and Rapa Nui (Easter Island)."


In fact we learned that in the New Zealand, or Aotearoa culture, there is a carved wooden weapon known as a patu, used in hand to hand combat. The patu is basically a wooden paddle, as seen here:




The performers did a warrior dance with them, and I have to tell you, shirtless men waving paddles wasn't a bad show! Even the carvings of Aotearoa gods feature the patu!
When I found a patu for sale in the gift area, I fell in love with it! At $59.99, it was a little steep for a souvenir, but it was beautiful, and Nick insisted I get it. Anyway, when will I ever have another chance to buy an authentic Aotearoan paddle? We haven't had a chance to try it out yet as we didn't want to raise any eyebrows at the hotel and we've been pretty well crashed since we got home - 10 hours on a plane will do that to you!
Anyway, it's great to be home - now I just have to get rid of this jet lag!

7 comments:

grace said...

WOW! Hawaii AND paddles?

That sounds like my kind of vacation! I'm so glad you guys had a great time...but I know what you mean about being HOME!

HUGS!
grace

PK said...

I can't wait to hear more about your trip and I bet you really did miss Morgan! That is a beautiful paddle! Please give us a good review as soon as you get to use it!

Hugs,
PK

Jean said...

Welcome home, sounds like a very nice time. Let us know how the souvenier workds

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you two had such a wonderful vacation! That's a lovely paddle/souvenir you found. ;-)

Big Hugs!
Bethie

Cowgirl said...

Welcome home! I saw those paddles in New Zealand, but was too chicken to buy one, lol. The shirtless men dancing the Haka is totally awesome... oh how I miss New Zealand.

Anonymous said...

Welcome Home AngelBrat:
Your vacation sounds fantastic. And your hotel looks gorgeous and so does that paddle. And it's nice to be home with Morgan I'm sure.
Take care
AG

ronnie said...

Hi, sounds like you had a fab time. A great view from your room and what a beautifu looking paddle.
paddle.
Ronnie
xx