Saturday, July 09, 2005

Behind closed doors...

Today I got up with plans to take back the cable box before work. I wasn't looking forward to packing up my daughter, driving across town to get the new box, driving her back past our house to drop her off at my mom's, then driving halfway back across town to work. But that was the plan.

Then, out of the blue, my mom calls and says, "Hey, I'm right over here at Wal-Mart. Why don't I just drop by and pick her up now?" This never happens. Usually if my mom is shopping near my house, she still wants me to drop her off all the way out at her house so that she can finish her shopping in peace. That way, if she doesn't get done in time, my dad can watch her until she gets home. Well, it was perfect timing and saved me a ton of driving. She stopped by and came in.

Now my mom does this thing that drives me crazy. Anytime she comes to my house, she stops and sniffs. It's like she expects me to be such a terrible housekeeper that there will be odorous evidence. I don't think she even realizes she does it, even though she always seems a bit disappointed when it doesn't smell like a truck stop bathroom. Anyway, all of that is to say that, while her house was always somewhat messy when we were growing up, she sees any clutter in my house as a failure on either my part or hers. (I'm pretty sure that's where my housework rebellion comes from).

Well, she spots some dishes in the sink, and her eyes light up. And she says, "Instead of me taking her home with me now, why don't you just leave and I'll stay here and clean for you?"

Oh my Lord. I could just see her, alone in the house, discovering 75 different spanking toys, then checking out the computer. And what's this? A spanking blog?! Then would come the heart attack. I don't want to be responsible for my mother's heart attack.

And so I stuffed down my panic and talked her into going home.

Whew!

By the way, Nick's watching the new cable box right now.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Better your mother then your mother in law.When you are on the Internet with your emailadress you are never really behind closed doors.You must know as a banker how much you can find if you really want.Maybe it's nowaday's time for a little more openess with this kind of things.Your computer tells everything about our voyage but why a delete.I don't intend any more.But I have only a grownup son in his twenties who seems to believe his mother never had a sexlife.Not afraid at all any more to shock him.But with your mother I suppose it's different.

mija {SKR} said...

Mattie omg i tottaly agree lmao.
my mom asked one time if she could borrow one of my swimming suits and i said sure bottom drawer in the tall dresser. Next thing i heard was her screaming and it hit me like a ton of bricks that i had put my toys in the bottom drawer and the swimming suits in the third drawer LMAO. so about 3 mins later my mom came down the stairs with one of the pink toys that was still in the box and she said never mind i'll forget the swimming suit and just take this. I started laughing and said ummmmmm OK...and she walked out the door and called me on her cell phone and said come get this damn thing i dont have this size batteries lmao . I knew she was just joking with me but i couldn't stop blushing.

Dawn said...

rotflmao too funny!

My mom caught my son riding one of my riding crops around the house once LOL

Anonymous said...

oh goodness...reminds me of when my Mother in Law came to our home to watch our oldest while we in the hospital having our middle...luckily, my mom was here and that kept MiL out of our stuff...but man! I know we went thru the house 3 times making sure we'd locked everything up out of her site...

*hugs* thanks for making me smile :)

AngelBrat said...

These stories are so funny!

me said...

I actually forwarded my in laws a copy of the Shadowlane summer event a couple years ago (School Days theme)...all the blood drained out of my face when I realized what I'd done. Hubby was so cool though, he laughed and said "oh they will think it is spam". I never heard a word but oy... :D