Thursday, April 21, 2005

A Good Day at Work...

Today my immediate supervisor came to my desk and asked me to come to the conference room when I was finished with the phone call I was on. Right away, I got these horrible butterflies. Even though I know I'm good at my job, reliable, professional, and far from new, I always have this deep, secret fear that one day I'll come in to a pink slip. I guess it's part of the same neurosis that makes me believe that my life is too beautiful to be my own, and that one day I'll wake up to find myself alone in a cardboard box under a bridge.

And so, the butterflies performing acrobatic feats, I went to the conference room. Inside was not only my supervisor, but his boss. The butterflies went into spasms. But nobody was frowning or looking regretful, so I made myself look perky and ready to meet any challenge and sat down.

We've taken on a tremendously larger workload in the last few months, just after my last pay raise, in December to be exact. I'd been a little put out, thinking that I was going to have to get a whole year of the new responsibilities under my belt with no increased compensation.

As it turns out, they'd called me in to give me an 8% raise! Yipeeeee! I thanked them and assured them I would continue to do a good job, then very professionally ran out the door to call Nick, who told me how much I rock. This has been a huge answer to prayer, especially with money the way it is right now.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice to hear you got a raise.You certainly deserved.But they won't pay you 8% if you're not worth a double or triple.So bosses are.

AngelBrat said...

Thanks, guys! :D

*J* said...

Congratulations!

AngelBrat said...

Thanks, guys!

Oh my Lord, Claire! Are you trying to kill me?! LOL!

Anonymous said...

Congrats from me too, Tracey! Nobbi

AngelBrat said...

Thanks, Nobbi. :)